David Shapiro | Resume
UI Architect, Engineer • front-end • full-stack
Mountain View, California 94040
I am a staff level specialist in
web tier engineering and architecture
with a current focus on the front-end,
though I have well over a decade of full-stack experience. I'm also a web
development mentor, author, and Open Source contributor to some popular
My professional mission is not to be an "individual contributor", but a key individual who succeeds in maximizing the contributions and ROI of the entire team. Building for the Web is my passion and has been since I built my first web app using Perl/CGI. I am almost entirely self-taught and always learning.
Let's converse if your organization needs any of my following areas of expertise:
• Front-end team technical leadership, mentorship, training
• New web application architecture or re-architecture
• Performance & SEO optimization
• Problem solving & debugging
• Framework & toolkit selection or development matched to business & technical reqs
• Guidance with tooling, build automation, continuous delivery, source control, UI best practices & design patterns, coding standards • maintenance • quality • future-proofing, browser standards & compatibility, REST APIs, Agile UI methods, UX & usability, responsiveness
• The current approach to front-end development just isn't working and a change is needed
Web development is not my first career. I've held technical product & project management, marketing, sales, and 3rd line system/network support roles. I can clearly communicate technical concepts and their purpose to non-technical team members, all levels of management, and customers. My recommendations and decisions are guided as much by business necessity as technical.
I am currently considering new full-time opportunities inline with the above, and within 25 miles of Mountain View, CA.
I do NOT work with 3rd party recruiters, period.
LeanPub, August 2014
(free to read on the web)
Providing expert guidance and hands-on development for
JKI's new web and mobile based software package manager,
http://vipm.jki.net, for searching and downloading LabVIEW software and
dependencies. The functionality is similar to Node's NPM. The tech stack is
AngularJS, LESS, Bootstrap, and cutting edge server side technologies.
Designed and implemented a professional and production quality build and unit-test automation system with Grunt, Karma, Jasmine, plus GIT branching strategy for an efficient multi-developer environment. Features include developer, QA, and production version of concatenated and minified code builds, deployment plus linting, ng/jdDoc, and training for JKIs lead architect.
Refactored, re-architected, and enhanced an existing AngularJS application to follow strict MVVM/MVC patterns for improved source code maintenance, 40% code reduction, ease of upgrade, scalability, ease of developer spin up, enhanced performance and offline with client caching.
Added the necessary responsive design for display and full functionality on tablet and mobile.
Helped JKI meet a very aggressive beta launch deadline.
Chose the full technology stack and built out the
front-end for HP's new online software purchasing experience for their
enterprise IT products. Strategically leveraged RAD frameworks to achieve a
design-to-launch time period of only 3 months when typical large enterprise
web launches require 18 months lead time.
Provided the UI engineering team with technical leadership, strategic direction and training as a hands-on architect. Guided the team in building out a lean, responsive UI layer utilizing semantic html5, SASS, Bootstrap, AngularJS, Jasmine and REST api architecture while adhering to the latest web UI standards, design patterns, and best practices.
Developed an AngularJS workflow manager leveraging Angular-UI's state router for flexible configuration and management of multi-step user input flows.
• MVC Web application migration from server (PHP, Zend)
• Comprehensive website performance and SEO optimizations
• Front-end re-architecture for faster/better user experience and maintainable reusable code base
• Query, Backbone.js, AJAX, html5, REST, css/scss, php, MySQL, ZendFramework
Front-end architecture and engineering for Tibco's
enterprise social application platform. Technology stack includes AngularJS,
Backbone.js, jQuery, jQueryUI, Underscore.js, Ruby / Rails. Developed the UI
component architecture for Tibbr's developer framework using AngularJS.
Responsible for technical direction and leadership, performance optimization, implementation of best practices and optimal design patterns, and solutions for critical problems for Tibbr's UI/UX. Train, mentor, and guide junior to senior level front-end developers. Collaborate with all levels of management plus design and QA departments to ensure technical success of the product.
Senior User Interface Engineer responsible for user
interface and user experience development and delivery of Nimsoft and CA IT
services via Cloud / SaaS to the browser platform.
Front and back end web development. From 2002 focused on delivering technology solutions to the non-profit sector. Selected clients include the Conservation Corps, Boys & Girls Club, ProjectHired, and UniversalGiving.
• Full-stack web development
• Recruited multi-disciplinary teams for pro-bono advanced website grants in the non-profit sector
• Managed client relationships, project scopes, and time-lines
• Managed consulting teams through all project phases- research, draft proposals, design, implementation, and follow-up
• Provided high level and detailed technical direction to other developers and designers
• Ensured all deliverables conformed to Best Practices and current standards
• Four year record of 100% client satisfaction
Open Source Projects
Created an AngularJS add on lib that
allows component developers to define and bind to W3C Custom Elements (Web
Components) from within Angular 1.x.x code.
Backbone.Configurator (Backbone.Config) is an extensible
object-class that allows you to manage your Backbone.js configuration(s) by moving
any and all hardcoded string dependancies from your Backbone classes and manage
them in a hierarchical object wrapped with the usual getter and setter functions,
plus Backbone.Events, plus more.
Certified Scrum Product Owner– Present
- HTML 5
- User Interface
- jQuery UI
- Front-end Development
- User Experience
- UI testing
- Web Components
- Cloud Computing
- Agile Methodologies
- Software Architectural...
- Systems Architecture
- Continuous Integration
- Test Driven Development
- Building Automation
- System Architecture
- Design Patterns